After three losses in the Group A action of Final Eight, Wisla Can-Pack head coach Jose Hernandez revealed budgets of couple of Final Eight participants to Polish media to explain the winless Final Eight participation so far.
Here’s a list of his revealed budgets combined with a couple of numbers we have heard or read over the year.
- UMMC – 10 million USD
- Galatasaray – 9 million USD
- Ros Casares – 5 million USD
- Sparta&K – 5 million USD [UPDATED: in light of this article we've received information that this number is less than 2.5 million $]
- Wisla Can-Pack – 2 million USD
- Tarbes GB – 2 million USD
- Good Angels Kosice – 1.1 million USD
Also mentioned was that the Polish team supposedly has the smallest budget of F8 participants, meaning that Rivas Ecopolis and Famila Schio have a budget bigger than 2 million.
Budget of Tarbes was mentioned to illustrate what kind of disaster they have been this season.
Mind you not all of that money goes to the players. In addition to operating costs, most of these teams also have youth teams in their system which obviously also require resources.
In comparison, WNBA teams this summer will spend from 844 to 878 thousand dollars on salaries and probably around a million (told by unreliable source so could be wrong) on operating costs.