Some quick thoughts following EuroLeague Women draw on Friday.
- Group C looks to be the strongest with 4 teams that can all make the Final Eight. UMMC should hold an edge over Galatasaray, Prague looks better than Avenida.
- Group B should end up as the weakest. After Fenerbahce there’s a drop off to Nadezhda, then there’s a drop off to Schio, Kosice and Sopron and an even bigger drop off to Arras and Targoviste.
- It would be a surprise if any of the teams coming from the bottom two pots advanced to playoffs, though if some of the midfield teams have injury issues it’s not impossible.
- Rivas can be considered the unluckiest team. Being the weakest in the first pot, they received potentially the strongest opponents from second and third pots.
- Anyone of Wisla, Sparta&K and Bourges could win group A. After going to F8 final in the spring it’s still hard to imagine Rivas being favorites in group A. They should be happy if they finish third.
- Early dark horse: Nadezhda. Can qualify very high with that composition of Group B to receive weaker opponents in both quarter finals and potentially in Final Eight.
- Interesting match-ups in first two weeks – Bourges – Wisla in week 1, Sparta&K – Bourges, Galatasaray – USK Prague in week 2.
Team analysis will come before the season.