Here’s how you blow a 13 point lead in less then four minutes as displayed by the Seattle Storm last night:
1. Miss a wide open layup.
2. Allow opponent to make an uncontested jump shot.
3. Have a post who averages more than 2.7 turnovers per game try and force the ball inside to the other post. Lose the ball.
4. Foul a guard who’s making a layup. Three point play.
5. The post who forced the ball inside decides to drive this time. Runs in to opponent guard, receives offensive foul.
6. Allow opponent to get offensive rebound after a missed layup, they convert it in a three pointer on an out of bounds play.
7. Attempt a jumper just inside the arc. Miss.
8. Make opponent miss a layup, grab the rebound, then give it back to opponent who misses the first shot, opponent grabs the o-reb and makes the second one. By now you’re up just 3 points.
9. Fail to get the ball in play for your team, throw it to the opponents, who miss the 3 ball.
10. Force a contested jump shot against the league’s best defensive player. Miss.
11. Switch on screens. Get beat by opponent center who’s guarded by your wing.
12. Have your clutch player miss a three within in the last minute, get the o-reb, get your shot blocked on the ensuing possession.
13. Have two players switch on one player, leaving a guard free outside. Guard sinks a game winning buzzer beater. Game over.
13 easy steps on how to delete a 13 point deficit. Shavonte Zellous made the game winner.
Diana Taurasi felt “dizzy” as she missed her third game after the break. DeWanna Bonner kept Mercury relatively close, but they never were able to take over the game. Bonner finished with 34 points for Mercury. Pondexter had 31 for Liberty.
Silver Stars 12 game winning streak ended with a bang as they were routed by the Los Angeles Sparks. Sparks led by as much as 34 points with Kristi Toliver and Alana Beard leading the way with 29 and 21 points respectively.
Indiana Fever – Seattle Storm 68-66
Fever: Catchings 18 (11 reb), January 11, Zellous 10
Storm: Little 15, Bird 14, Stricklen 13, Kobryn 10
New York Liberty – Phoenix Mercury 89-77
Liberty: Pondexter 31, Powell 13, Mitchell 13, Pierson 12, Braxton 12
Mercury: Bonner 34, Hornbuckle 12, Prahalis 12
San Antonio Silver Stars – Los Angeles Sparks 77-101
Silver Stars: Robinson 22, Johnson 15, Adams 10, Young 9
Sparks: Toliver 29, Beard 21, Milton-Jones 14, Hoffman 9